What to Bring to Your VITA Appointment

PLEASE NOTE: You MUST complete (1) and bring (2) or (3), and (4), and (5) or (6), and (7), (8), (9), (10) and (11).
These items are required by law.  If you arrive to your appointment without these items, we will not be able to prepare your return.

OUR TIME IS VALUABLE.  If you do not show up for your appointment, and do not cancel at least 24 hours prior to your appointment, you will be prohibited from making another appointment this season.

  1. Completion of our Residency Determination Form. Simply completing it online is sufficient.  We download the results every day.
  2. For U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens, bring a completed Intake/Interview and Quality Review Sheet (IRS Form 13614-C)
  3. Non-Resident Aliens:
    1. bring a completed Nonresident Alien Intake and Interview Sheet
    2. your current Passport
    3. Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Record
  4. Proof of identification (photo ID) for all taxpayers to be included on your tax return
    • Please note: if you are married filing jointly, your spouse must be present
  5. Original Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  6. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter(s) for you, your spouse and your dependents
  7. Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  8. All Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  9. All Forms 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
    • PLEASE NOTE the 1042-S forms may not be mailed to you until March 15th.  If you expect to receive a 1042-S, please DO NOT make an appointment until you have this/these form(s).
    • Not sure if you will be receiving any 1042-S forms?  Please see our How Do I Know if I’m Getting a Form 1042-S webpage!
  10. Students:
    1. Student fee bill for all 2019 sessions (UConn students can find instructions for printing their fee bill here)
    2. Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement (UConn students can print a copy here)
  11. IRS-issued Taxpayer Identity Protection PIN, if received.
  12. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  13. Only if you are a U.S. citizen, documentation of property taxes paid on your home or personal property (vehicles).  This information is only necessary if 1) you think you are going to itemize on your deductions on your federal return, or 2) if you are a CT resident who is over 65 and/or has a dependent.
  14. Documentation of any donations made to U.S. charities
  15. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available (this is always very helpful!)
  16. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
  17. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  18. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  19. Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Please do not come to the VITA site until you have received all your tax forms. This includes tax documents from all sources of income you received in the current tax year (W-2, 1099-MISC, etc.). For example, if you had more than one part-time job or internship, please wait until you receive tax documents from all of them (or follow up with your respective employer) before coming to get your taxes done.