What to Bring to Your VITA Appointment

PLEASE NOTE: You MUST bring (1) or (2), and (3), and (4) or (5) or (6), and (7)
These items are required by law.  If you arrive to your appointment without these items, we will not be able to prepare your return.

  1. For U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens, bring a completed Intake/Interview and Quality Review Sheet (IRS Form 13614-C)
  2. For Non-Resident Aliens, bring a completed Nonresident Alien Intake and Interview Sheet
  3. Passport for Resident and Non-Resident Aliens
  4. Proof of identification (photo ID) for all taxpayers to be included on your tax return
    • Please note: if you are married filing jointly, your spouse must be present
  5. Original Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  6. OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter(s) for you, your spouse and your dependents
  7. Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  8. Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  9. All Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  10. All Forms 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
  11. Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement (UConn students can print a copy here)
  12. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  13. Documentation of property taxes paid on your home or personal property (vehicles)
  14. Documentation of any donations made to U.S. charities
  15. All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  16. Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  17. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available (this is always very helpful!)
  18. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
  19. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  20. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  21. Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  22. Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Please do not come to the VITA site until you have received all your tax forms. This includes tax documents from all sources of income you received in 2016 (W-2, 1099-MISC, etc.). For example, if you had more than one part-time job or internship, please wait until you receive tax documents from all of them (or follow up with your respective employer) before coming to get your taxes done.