The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at the University of Connecticut provides free personalized tax counseling and preparation the UConn Community. We proudly serve:
- The International Community (Resident and Non-Resident Aliens)
- FAQ available at Tax Assistance for Foreign Students and Scholars
- The Military Community (all veterans and active duty military personnel and their families, regardless of income level)
- All taxpayers with gross income less than $54,000 per year
- All other taxpayers (with returns within the scope of our program) through our Facilitated Self Assistance option (laptop access provided)
Our volunteers are junior and senior accounting majors and are certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to prepare simple Federal and Connecticut state income tax returns. We cannot prepare returns for taxpayers who have income outside of the State of Connecticut. We are trained to provide the highest quality service and to be sensitive to the needs of our constituents.
Beta Alpha Psi, International Student & Scholar Services, Payroll, Accounts Payable, and the School of Business Accounting Department are the sponsors of this event. These four departments work closely together to ensure that the best possible advice and preparation are given to international students and scholars.
Please do not register for tax assistance if:
- You only need to file Form 8843
- You only have tax questions
- You prepared your own return or someone else prepared your return and you are seeking to have it reviewed.
To register, please visit freetaxhelp.us
For guidance regarding preparing for your appointment, see our What To Bring to Your Appointment webpage.