The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at the University of Connecticut provides free personalized tax counseling and preparation the UConn Community. We proudly serve:
- The International Community (Resident and Non-Resident Aliens)
- FAQ available at Tax Assistance for Foreign Students and Scholars
- The Military Community (all veterans and active duty military personnel and their families, regardless of income level)
- All taxpayers with gross income less than $55,000 per year
Our volunteers are junior and senior accounting majors and are certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to prepare simple Federal and Connecticut state income tax returns. We cannot prepare returns for taxpayers who have income outside of the State of Connecticut. We are trained to provide the highest quality service and to be sensitive to the needs of our constituents.
‘Interested in volunteering or enrolling in the course? Click here for more information!
Beta Alpha Psi, International Student & Scholar Services, Payroll, Accounts Payable, and the School of Business Accounting Department are the sponsors of this event. These four departments work closely together to ensure that the best possible advice and preparation are given to international students and scholars.
Please do not register for tax assistance if:
- You only need to file Form 8843
- You only have tax questions
- You prepared your own return or someone else prepared your return and you are seeking to have it reviewed.
PLEASE NOTE that if you are from a country with a tax treaty and therefore will be getting a Form 1042-S, you must wait to make an appointment until you have that form!
This might not be until after March 15th!
How do I know if my country has a tax treaty?
How do I know if I’m getting a Form 1042-S?
To register, please visit freetaxhelp.us
For guidance regarding preparing for your appointment, see our What To Bring to Your Appointment webpage.
PLEASE NOTE: if you do not show up for your appointment, and do not cancel at least 24 hours prior to your appointment, you will be prohibited from making another appointment this season.